Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Turn Off the TV before It Ruins Us

For class I read an article written by David Nyhan where he tries to persuade his readers that television is bad for kids. He uses both statistics and personal opinions to prove his point. I have to say that I have to agree with David when he says that too much television is bad for kids because he uses some really good statistics like for example he points out that every kid in America witnesses on average sixteen thousand murders on TV before the ripe old age of eighteen and to me that is crazy because I believe that as kids to see so much violence from such a young age it sort of builds up kids to see acts of violence as something normal and not bad. Also on average kids watch four hours of TV a day and that is just way more than should be watched, instead those hours could be used to study and do homework. As previously stated I agree with David that television is bad for our youth but one thing that he said I had to completely throw out the window because he just sounded like a freaking idiot, he said that people  who are incarcerated are people who watched too much television when they were kids and that's just stupid because most of the people who are in jail are there for drug related charges or are career criminals not lazy people who sit on their buts all day eating hot pockets and watching CSI.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I do believe that too much T.V. can be bad for all of us, but linking how much time someone spends watching T.V. to people who are incarcerated seems extreme to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep that author is pretty intense and extreme. Every semester he turns some students off w his harsh tone.

    ReplyDelete